<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google

11.22.2004

A Wartime Correspondent Speaks Out

Kevin Sites, the now famous battlefield photographer has release a statement on his blog, kevinsites.net . In it, he explains his rationale for releasing the now infamous footage of the marine shooting the wounded and unarmed insurgent during the recent Faluja incursion by the U.S. military.

It is an amazingly fair and heartfelt report from the field. Kevin Sites has exhibited more bravery in an extremely hostile and dangerous environment by voluntarily going into harms way to document this war than 99% of those who have criticized him. He has literally put his life on the line to practice one of our most fundamental rights under the constitution, freedom of the press.

The people on the right who have said this man should be killed or declared an enemy of the state are just as ignorant as those who have called for the marine's death. No topic is black and white especially during the "fog of war".

I strongly encorage everyone to read Mr. Site's site and account of what happened and to reserve your judgement until then.

Here is an excerpt:
This week I've even been shocked to see myself painted as some kind of anti-war activist. Anyone who has seen my reporting on television or has read the dispatches on this website is fully aware of the lengths I've gone to play it straight down the middle -- not to become a tool of propaganda for the left or the right.

But I find myself a lightning rod for controversy in reporting what I saw occur in front of me, camera rolling.

It's time you to have the facts from me, in my own words, about what I saw -- without imposing on that Marine -- guilt or innocence or anything in between. I want you to read my account and make up your own minds about whether you think what I did was right or wrong. All the other armchair analysts don't mean a damn to me.

Here it goes.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?